Erik Of Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a phantom of the opera forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Deleting Account
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 4:31 am by Afsar

» Those Rosy Hours at Mazandaran
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 am by Afsar

» SHADOW BENDER
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm by PhantomnessFay

» BEHIND THE MIRROR NEW BOOK TITLE
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 pm by PhantomnessFay

» THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am by PhantomnessFay

» Song Name Game
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm by Heart_Rose1368

» Phantom by Susan Kay
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 am by PhantomnessFay

» Love Never Dies
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 am by PhantomnessFay

» If you could pick any actor....
THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 am by Heart_Rose1368

Elite Affiliates
Kay's PhantomLady Ghost's SitePhantom's Mask
Phantom GerryFantomeApply
Top Affiliates
Randomosity Forum
Rubigna Chastenay
Quiero Mas Shakira
Lessons From the Phantom of the Opera
Nichol's Bookshelf
>>More Affiliates<<
>>Apply<<

THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE

Go down 
+3
SnowMoccasin
Gabby81
PhantomnessFay
7 posters
AuthorMessage
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female
Number of posts : 2388
Registration date : 2008-05-19

THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Empty
PostSubject: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:08 am

I didn't like this book for many reasons. Forsythe tries to mimic
Leroux by doing what Susan Kay did, every chapter was from the point of view of a different character. Very confusing, especially since we see Darius, the Persian's servant making a pact with the devil. Now what was that about?

Then we find that in the lair after the Don Juan Triumphant scene and before the mob invades, Erik and Christine have some intimate time, which results in a son named Charles, I think.

Raoul thinks Charles is his son. No surprise there.

I didn't like the Phantom running the funhouse on Coney Island and the ending which leaves Christine dead, Raoul crippled and Erik to raise his son. Everyone was out of character, and it read like a soap.

All the mystery and love is gone from this book.

Anyone else read this book? What did you think?
Back to top Go down
http://novelsandotherwritingsbyfaysimon.homestead.com/Home.html
Gabby81
Senior
Gabby81

Female
Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Fortunately I have poor short term memory, so by the time I get the book, I'll have forgotten the comments above. I had heard somewhere that Erik ran this funhouse, which was the first to strike me as odd...if you're parents gave you/sold you to gypsies, would you really want to go back to that same world? There are other things but I don't want to speculate here. I'm curious of others opinion. Just don't tell me the ending! Lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com; search Gabrielle Jaillet and send me a
SnowMoccasin
SnowMoccasin

Female
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 10:09 am

Blarg. That book was disgusting. I hated it. I lost it, which made me really happy, but then my friend bought it for me for Christmas!! Sad

I hate how Erik and Christine have a son, even though Christine is scared to death of him in Leroux's novel.
Back to top Go down
Gabby81
Senior
Gabby81

Female
Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Like I said, I only have bits and pieces of knowledge of this book. I believe I have to read it, being an obsessed Phan. I've heard some people mention that Forsythe actually made fun of Leroux's original novel. That just doesn't seem right. Different opinions, sure, but to put down the original author? Don't know.

Like Fay said, something that really bugs me is him running the funhouse. To me that's just too closely related to him growing up in the travelling fair. It just doesn't make sense to me. This is why, even though most Phans agree the book is horrible, I still need to read it, so I can see for myself what this guy did to the Phantom!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com; search Gabrielle Jaillet and send me a
HighwayPhantom
Phan
HighwayPhantom

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 4:34 pm

LOL the only bit I like is how he writes the ending. The rest is like blah blah blah
Back to top Go down
Angelsmasque
Angelsmasque

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 am

Yep. It was one of the first group of phantom books that I read when I became hooked. It seems to have taken the darkest portions of each character's life and played them up as though each were a haunting tease. Nothing appears a feasible fit especially since Leroux's characters evolved forward. I agree with Fay. It is a sensational soap where all is possible due to a script twist. Bleh :<_<:
Back to top Go down
Mav
Mav

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 am

I say again... this book was very disjointed with far too many points of view, even if divided into chapters. Kay achieved this with the division in her books, yet Forsythe failed.

Mav
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferlinforth.com
Heart_Rose1368

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-02-20

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm

But see Raoul knew Pierre wasn't his son because Raoul was in essence a eunuch because of his accident. Which makes you wonder what kind of push over Raoul was that he just shrugged and accepted it. In Phantom of Manhattan Erik had sex with Christine while she was unconscious and could not consent. Erik raped Christine. I could live with all the other flaws in this story except that one.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 9:16 am

Whoa!  I don't recall Erik raping Christine.  I recall Madam Giry saying Christine found him after he left his lair through the mirror and they had a night of passion, but it was consensual.  Keep in mind that "rape" is not an act of passion, but an act of violence and crime. There is nothing sexy about rape.

Did I miss something or is my memory going?  I should read that thing again.  Yikes!
Back to top Go down
Heart_Rose1368

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-02-20

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Nope, she was passed out and he went for it. They changed it in Love Never Dies to consensual but in the book he straight up does it while she's out of it.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am

I'm going to look for my copy of the book and reread that part.  Somehow, I don't recall that.  Eeww! I can't believe Erik would do that.

According to wiki answers.com Erik did not rape Christine. See following link http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_the_phantom_rape_Christine_daae
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE   THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE
Page 1 of 1