Erik Of Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a phantom of the opera forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Deleting Account
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 4:31 am by Afsar

» Those Rosy Hours at Mazandaran
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 am by Afsar

» SHADOW BENDER
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm by PhantomnessFay

» BEHIND THE MIRROR NEW BOOK TITLE
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 pm by PhantomnessFay

» THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTEN BY FREDRICK FORSYTHE
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am by PhantomnessFay

» Song Name Game
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm by Heart_Rose1368

» Phantom by Susan Kay
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 am by PhantomnessFay

» Love Never Dies
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 am by PhantomnessFay

» If you could pick any actor....
Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 am by Heart_Rose1368

Elite Affiliates
Kay's PhantomLady Ghost's SitePhantom's Mask
Phantom GerryFantomeApply
Top Affiliates
Randomosity Forum
Rubigna Chastenay
Quiero Mas Shakira
Lessons From the Phantom of the Opera
Nichol's Bookshelf
>>More Affiliates<<
>>Apply<<

Phantom by Susan Kay

Go down 
+11
ladyghost
AngelicRose
true beauty
erikstalker
angelofmusic1413
YestonErik
my daroga
PhantomnessFay
Ange de Musique
Jypsi
Empy
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jypsi
Admin
Jypsi

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't see how this book can cheer you up. its so dark and full of sorrow. I do love the book but i find it more depressing than most.
Back to top Go down
https://erikofmusic.forumakers.com
YestonErik
YestonErik

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 6:42 pm

well, first of all, like I said before, I love Erik's sence of humor. And, the sorrow puts things in perspective for me, or sounds like what I'm going through.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female
Number of posts : 2388
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 8:50 pm

Interesting! I have to agree with Nichol. It's so depressing, but then, if your life is in need of something darker...

Erik's sense of humor? You mean like when he took some of the gems from the shah's chair?

Interesting! flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
http://novelsandotherwritingsbyfaysimon.homestead.com/Home.html
YestonErik
YestonErik

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 11:00 am

yeah. or that part when he says somthing like "hell is full of burning boats. I daresay that's what makes it so bloody hot." Laughing he'd be a good guy to have around in a tight spot! Laughing *hugs KayErik*
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Guess I forgot that one. It's been a while since I've read it. I suppose my mind was cluttered with all I didn't like. My bad!

sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 8:22 am

I do think Erik had a sense of humor, and his brand of sarcasm has crept into my own work. "It's very difficult to be a murderer without killing people from time to time."

PhantomnessFay, I don't think you offended anyone and I, for one, am very much enjoying this conversation. There's a line between discussion and negativity, and I don't think either of us has crossed it. These are ALL valid points and any work of lit/art/film/theater is going to arouse totally different opinions. And I was totally a dewey-eyed teen when I read this. I freely admit that that's what's at the heart of my regard for it.

As such, YestonErik, I used to be cheered by Kay when I was younger. There's a thing I've named "vicarious emotional masochism" for the feeling it gave me; my life wasn't awful, but I was a little cut-off from my peers, and the absurd pain of the book would jump-start something in me. I liked feeling sad about it, because it was a sadness that was contained in fiction. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/fifthcellar/viewuser.php?uid=1
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

The parts which displayed humor indeed brought relief from the depression. Perhaps I think of all the ways his life could have been shown, with all it's horror, but different from the way Kay did it.

After having read both the original and this one, I still hold to Leroux's. Nothing in all the pain and agony Kay showed Erik experiencing still left him out of character to me.

Again, I suppose I'm a purist. I looked for something close to Leroux's Erik, but fell to disappointment.

I must say his relationship with Nadir I could accept. It seem genuine and something I would expect.

Slightly off the main subject, but not, has anyone actually heard of the use of the Punjab lasso any place save Phantom and its related literature?

Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 10:42 am

I read Leroux for Leroux, and I like when authors try to recreate that character. But I also enjoy other takes; we've been through this territory before, though, obviously! Some are going to be more acceptable to different people.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "pubjab lasso"--I believe Leroux made that up out of whole cloth, like a lot of his background elements. Sounds exotic, though, doesn't it? Leonard Wolf's footnote addresses this, I believe. He's found evidence a different, though similar device which operates not as a lasso but with weights on the end so it flips around the victim's neck, strangling him. But I don't have the book with me at the moment, so I can't swear to it.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Well that's what I was thinking. It wasn't a noose. It had to be flicked out and wrapped around the victim's neck. Then again, I'm no expert of weapons or ways to kill. ***shudder***

Leonard Wolf, was he one who did a translation of POTO?

Thanks! Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 2:50 pm

But a lasso is, by definition, a noose. A loop of rope that tightens when pulled. The sort of thing with weights on the end is called a bola. I think Leroux made up the Pubjab Lasso to make Erik more exotic--it probably didn't matter much, to him, whether it was real or not.

Leonard Wolf did a translation, with footnotes. It's called The Essential Phantom of the Opera and it's useful. It's not as thorough as I want it to be, and the translation is pretty good. Frankly, I'd pick and choose from the various translations for various lines, because each of them contains language I find preferable in certain spots.

Though this is all rather off topic for Kay!
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Actually not if we are talking about the Punjab lasso which is mentioned in Kay's book. Erik could have sent a noose over the victims head. Quite possible.

That section in Kay's book does give account of his murderous role in Persia which I felt could have been true. That's what had me thinking about the lasso.

Interesting! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 pm

The thing about Kay's treatment of Persia is that she had to find a section of Persian history where it made sense. I mean, she had to work out the dates and see who was ruling and added real-life characters to make the political situation viable. I'm not saying it's truefacts history, but I like how she included the religious issues (the Babi dissidents) and the assassination of the advisor (Mirza Taqui Khan?) and the Shah (Nadir al-din)'s mother. The specificity--the fact she could find a place to work him into a pre-existing situation--was interesting.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am

Agreed. This she did quite well. It seemed believable. In this she did very well.

I remember when I first got the book, I really wanted to see how she told Erik's story in Persia. Actually, it would be nice to see illustations for that section.

Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am

I think there should be more written about Erik's time in Persia. It's pretty rich territory that hasn't been mined to death yet.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 pm

That would be intresting. More of Erik's life in Persia. Sounds like a good opening for a new book. my daroga, would venture a stab at it?

Back to top Go down
my daroga
my daroga

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 1:31 pm

Oh, I want to. Someday, I will. I have to finish some other stuff, first (my nonfiction exploration of POTO versions) but I'd definitely love to publish some POTO fic one day. My roommate wants to make a movie of Erik in Persia--not that either of us makes movies, understand. She wants me to make the definitive film version of Leroux.

Frankly, despite its failings, I'd love to see a Kay movie. I just think it'd be dramatic and angsty and awesome, though maybe not good.
Back to top Go down
YestonErik
YestonErik

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 1:41 pm

I want a movie, too... Very Happy but Hollywood'll kill it, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 2:46 pm

If it's pitched to the right people a movie would be made. You just have to assure the person putting up the money that will get their money back.

Idea Idea Idea
Back to top Go down
angelofmusic1413
angelofmusic1413

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 3:43 pm

I would love to see a movie done on Susan Kay's Phantom, and yet I don't think they could do it justice.
I don't see it possible, being able to capture Erik's pure ugliness and horror.
For instance, in the 2004 film, they call that a defomity? For me, it needs to be obvious why he had been shunned and hated all of his life...not looking like he had been sunburned.

Also, Erik's voice brought tears to his mother's eyes even when he was a baby...it was his only beauty. I can't imagine a voice that angelic and beautiful being captured in a film, can you?

I thought this was the most amazing book because it went into such depth into young Erik, and we are given an idea as to why he acts like the cold-blooded, heartless and desperate man we see. My copy of the book is hardcover and red with a golden mask on the front. There is a woman, who I am assuming to be Christine, kissing the mask and holding it close to her. I was looking around on different book websites and I haven't seen my version anywhere. Does anyone else have the same copy as me?
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Is this a picture on the cover? My copy doesn't have any picture like that.

Back to top Go down
erikstalker
erikstalker

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:18 am

Smile My book does but mine's in bad condition. When I got it the pages were about to fall out.
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 am

Mine is a newer publication. I got it in 2006. When was yours published?

Back to top Go down
erikstalker
erikstalker

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 am

1991 what adress was yours printed at? mine was 666 Fifth Avanue NY,NY
Back to top Go down
PhantomnessFay
PhantomnessFay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 am

I'll have to look at my copy when I get home. At work at the moment.

affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
true beauty

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 10:39 am

I haven't read this one yet either ( gasp) i would really like to but is it like WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay depressing? and Erik's drug addiction how bad is that. I mean i don't want to read about some druggie. You know i just want to read about Erik
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phantom by Susan Kay   Phantom by Susan Kay - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phantom by Susan Kay
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next